2014 Top Management & Performance Challenges
Annually, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) prepares a summary of the most significant management and performance challenges facing the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We refer to this summary as the Top Management Challenges (TMC). These challenges reflect continuing vulnerabilities that OIG has identified for HHS over recent years as well as new and emerging issues that HHS will face in the coming year. This summary fulfills OIG's requirement under the Reports Consolidation Act of 2000, Public Law 106-531 to identify these management challenges, assess the Department's progress in addressing each challenge, and submit this statement to the Department annually. The assessment is included as an appendix to the publicly available HHS annual Agency Financial Report.
- 1: Implementing, Operating, and Overseeing the Health Insurance Marketplaces
- 2: Ensuring Appropriate Use of Prescription Drugs in Medicare and Medicaid
- 3: Protecting an Expanding Medicaid Program From Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
- 4: Fighting Waste and Fraud and Promoting Value in Medicare Parts A and B
- 5: Ensuring Quality in Nursing Home, Hospice, and Home- and Community-Based Care
- 6: The Meaningful and Secure Exchange and Use of Electronic Health Information
- 7: Effectively Operating Public Health and Human Services Programs To Best Serve Program Beneficiaries
- 8: Ensuring Effective Financial and Administrative Management
- 9: Protecting HHS Grants and Contract Funds From Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
- 10: Ensuring the Safety of Food, Drugs, and Medical Devices
Let's start by choosing a topic
Priority recommendations summarized.
FY 2016 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2016.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.