2012 Top Management & Performance Challenges
Annually, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) prepares a summary of the most significant management and performance challenges facing the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We refer to this summary as the Top Management Challenges (TMC). These challenges reflect continuing vulnerabilities that OIG has identified for HHS over recent years as well as new and emerging issues that HHS will face in the coming year. This summary fulfills OIG's requirement under the Reports Consolidation Act of 2000, Public Law 106-531 to identify these management challenges, assess the Department's progress in addressing each challenge, and submit this statement to the Department annually. The assessment is included as an appendix to the publicly available HHS annual Agency Financial Report.
- Management Issue 1: Implementing the Affordable Care Act
- Management Issue 2: Identifying and Reducing Improper Payments
- Management Issue 3: Preventing and Detecting Medicare and Medicaid Fraud
- Management Issue 4: Ensuring Patient Safety and Quality of Care
- Management Issue 5: Avoiding Waste and Promoting Value in Health Care
- Management Issue 6: Ensuring Efficiency and Effectiveness of Medicare and Medicaid
Program Integrity Contractors
- Management Issue 7: Grants Management and Administration of Contract Funds
- Management Issue 8: Protecting Consumers of Food, Drugs, and Medical Devices
- Management Issue 9: Integrity and Security of Health Information Systems and Data
- Management Issue 10: Fostering an Ethical and Transparent Environment
Let's start by choosing a topic
Priority recommendations summarized.
FY 2017 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2017.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.