2011 Top Management & Performance Challenges
Annually, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) prepares a summary of the most significant management and performance challenges facing the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We refer to this summary as the Top Management Challenges (TMC). These challenges reflect both continuing vulnerabilities that OIG has identified for HHS over recent years as well as new and emerging issues that HHS will face in the coming year. This summary fulfills OIG's requirement under the Reports Consolidation Act of 2000, Public Law 106-531 to identify these management challenges, assess the Department's progress in addressing each challenge, and submit this statement to the Department annually. The assessment is included as an appendix to the publicly available HHS annual Agency Financial Report.
- Management Issue 1: Implementing the Affordable Care Act
- Management Issue 2: Preventing and Detecting Medicare and Medicaid Fraud
- Management Issue 3: Identifying and Reducing Improper Payments
- Management Issue 4: Patient Safety and Quality of Care
- Management Issue 5: Integrity and Security of Information Systems and Data
- Management Issue 6: Availability and Quality of Data for Effective Program Oversight
- Management Issue 7: Oversight of CMS Program and Benefit Integrity Contractors
- Management Issue 8: Ensuring Integrity in Medicare and Medicaid Benefits Delivered by Private Plans
- Management Issue 9: Avoiding Waste in Health Care Pricing Methodologies
- Management Issue 10: Grants Management and Administration of Contract Funds
- Management Issue 11: Ensuring the Safety of the Nation's Food Supply
- Management Issue 12: Oversight of the Approval, Safety, and Marketing of Drugs and Devices
- Management Issue 13: Oversight and Enforcement of the Department's Ethics Programs
Let's start by choosing a topic
Priority recommendations summarized.
FY 2016 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2016.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.