Emerging Infectious Disease Preparedness & Response
OIG's oversight of HHS preparedness for and response to emerging infectious diseases (EIDs) has identified areas of strength and vulnerability in the Department's efforts. EIDs are infectious diseases that have recently appeared within a population or those whose incidence or geographic range is rapidly increasing or threatens to increase in the near future. EIDs not only threaten public health, but can also stress the surrounding health care infrastructure by requiring substantial resources of health care providers and Government at all levels.
In addition to overseeing and supporting HHS' capabilities, OIG has assessed State and local EID planning and response as well as the readiness of health care providers. These insights, along with OIG's recommendations, provide useful guidance for protecting the public from EIDs and their challenges.
A compilation of OIG's oversight work related to emerging infectious disease response and preparation is below and will be updated as scheduled work is available.
- Opioid Treatment Programs Reported Challenges Encountered During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Actions Taken To Address Them A-09-20-01001
- Office of Refugee Resettlement Ensured That Selected Care Providers Were Prepared To Respond to the COVID-19 Pandemic A-04-20-02031
- National Snapshot of State Agency Approaches to Child Care During the COVID-19 Pandemic A-07-20-06092
- Pandemic Response Accountability Committee (PRAC) Report: Top Challenges Facing Federal Agencies: COVID-19 Emergency Relief and Response Efforts
- Hospital Experiences Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic: Results of a National Pulse Survey March 23-27, 2020 OEI-06-20-00300
- HRSA Complied With Federal and HHS Grant Policies When Awarding Zika Response and Preparedness Appropriations Act Funds During Fiscal Year 2017 A-04-17-02003
- Public Summary Report: Readiness of CDC's Strategic National Stockpile Could Be at Risk in Case of a Public Health Emergency A-04-16-03554
- Vaccines for Children Program: Vulnerabilities in Vaccine Management OEI-04-10-00430
- 2009 H1N1 School-Located Vaccination Program Implementation OEI-04-10-00020
- State and Local Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Medical Surge OEI-02-08-00210
- Local Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Vaccine and Antiviral Drug Distribution and Dispensing OEI-04-08-00260
- Public Health Laboratory Testing to Detect and Report Biological Threats OEI-04-07-00750
- Laboratory Preparedness for Pandemic Influenza OEI-04-07-00670
Last Updated: 11-23-2020