Infectious Disease Preparedness & Response
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is the U.S. Government's principal oversight agency for protecting the health of the public and providing essential human services. Included in that role is a charge to prepare and respond to emerging infectious diseases.
OIG's oversight of HHS preparedness for and response to emerging infectious diseases in the past identified areas of strength and weakness in the Department's efforts. These insights, along with OIG's recommendations, provide useful guidance for improving HHS efforts to protect the public from the threat of infectious diseases.
A compilation of OIG's oversight work related to infectious disease response and preparation is below and will be updated as scheduled work is available.
- Highlights of OIG's Emergency Preparedness Work
- COVID-19 Hospital Response
- Assessing HHS Agencies' Adherence to Health, Safety, and Operational Protocols During Repatriation and Quarantine Efforts for the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Medicaid Nursing Home Life Safety and Emergency Preparedness Reviews
- Emergency Preparedness and Response at Care Provider Facilities in the Office of Refugee Resettlement's Unaccompanied Alien Children Program
- HRSA Complied With Federal and HHS Grant Policies When Awarding Zika Response and Preparedness Appropriations Act Funds During Fiscal Year 2017 A-04-17-02003
- Public Summary Report: Readiness of CDC's Strategic National Stockpile Could Be at Risk in Case of a Public Health Emergency A-04-16-03554
- Vaccines for Children Program: Vulnerabilities in Vaccine Management OEI-04-10-00430
- 2009 H1N1 School-Located Vaccination Program Implementation OEI-04-10-00020
- State and Local Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Medical Surge OEI-02-08-00210
- Local Pandemic Influenza Preparedness: Vaccine and Antiviral Drug Distribution and Dispensing OEI-04-08-00260
- Public Health Laboratory Testing to Detect and Report Biological Threats OEI-04-07-00750
- Laboratory Preparedness for Pandemic Influenza OEI-04-07-00670
Last Updated: 03-23-2020