U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it's official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.

Https

The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

Skip to Content

Department of Health and Human Services

Office of Inspector General -- AUDIT

"Medicaid Transportation Claims - Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, Indianapolis, Indiana," (A-05-00-00017)

March 26, 2001


Complete Text of Report is available in PDF format (68 kb). Copies can also be obtained by contacting the Office of Public Affairs at 202-619-1343.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

This final letter report provides you with the results of our audit "Medicaid Transportation Claims." The objective of our audit was to determine the allowability of paid Medicaid claims for non emergency transportation trips which could not be matched to a claim for medical service or product on the same date.

Although your Office of Medicaid Policy and Planning (OMPP) initially identified non-emergency transportation claims without related medical services, amounting to over $1.3 million during fiscal year 1999, a subsequent refinement to this analysis reduced the potential questionable claims to $157,948 for the quarter ending September 30, 1998. Our sample review noted reasonable explanations for about 35 percent of these claims and documentation problems for the remaining 65 percent of the transportation claims.