Medicare and Beneficiaries Could Save Billions If CMS Reduces Hospital Outpatient Department Payment Rates for Ambulatory Surgical Center-Approved Procedures to Ambulatory Surgical Center Payment Rates
Download the complete report
Adobe® Acrobat® is required to read PDF files.
Medicare generally saves when outpatient surgical procedures that do not pose significant risk to patients are performed in an ambulatory surgical center (ASC) instead of an outpatient department. Medicare saved almost $7 billion during calendar years (CYs) 2007 through 2011 and could potentially save $12 billion from CYs 2012 through 2017 because ASC rates are frequently lower than outpatient department rates for surgical procedures. In addition, Medicare could generate savings of as much as $15 billion for CYs 2012 through 2017 if CMS reduces outpatient department payment rates for ASC-approved procedures to ASC payment levels for procedures performed on beneficiaries with low-risk and no-risk clinical needs.
Beneficiaries would also save through reduced cost sharing. Beneficiaries saved approximately $2 billion during CYs 2007 through 2011 and could potentially save an additional $3 billion for the next 6 years because the ASC rates are frequently lower than outpatient department rates. In addition, beneficiaries could potentially save as much as $2 billion to $4 billion more during the 6 years through CY 2017 if CMS reduces outpatient department payment rates for ASC-approved procedures to ASC payment levels.
We recognize that not all procedures can be performed in an ASC because a procedure might pose a significant safety risk to the patient. To account for this, we obtained patient-risk statistics from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The risk statistics showed that 33 percent of hospital patients 65 and older were considered to have no-risk medical profiles and an additional 35 percent were considered to be at low risk for procedures performed at an ASC. In total, 68 percent of patients had either low- or no-risk medical profiles.
We recommended that CMS (1) seek legislation that would exempt the reduced expenditures as a result of lower outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) payment rates from budget neutrality adjustments for ASC-approved procedures, (2) reduce OPPS payment rates for ASC-approved procedures on beneficiaries with no-risk or low-risk clinical needs in outpatient departments, and then (3) develop and implement a payment strategy in which outpatient departments would continue to receive the standard OPPS payment rate for ASC-approved procedures that must be provided in an outpatient department because of a beneficiary's individual clinical needs. CMS did not concur with our recommendations.
Let's start by choosing a topic
Priority recommendations summarized.
FY 2014 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2014.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.