2013 Top Management & Performance Challenges
Annually, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) prepares a summary of the most significant management and performance challenges facing the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We refer to this summary as the Top Management Challenges (TMC). These challenges reflect continuing vulnerabilities that OIG has identified for HHS over recent years as well as new and emerging issues that HHS will face in the coming year. This summary fulfills OIG's requirement under the Reports Consolidation Act of 2000, Public Law 106-531 to identify these management challenges, assess the Department's progress in addressing each challenge, and submit this statement to the Department annually. The assessment is included as an appendix to the publicly available HHS annual Agency Financial Report.
- Management Challenge 1: Overseeing the Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Management Challenge 2: Transitioning to Value-Based Payments for Heath Care
- Management Challenge 3: Ensuring Appropriate Use of Prescription Drugs in Medicare and Medicaid
- Management Challenge 4: Protecting the Integrity of an Expanding Medicaid Program
- Management Challenge 5: Fighting Fraud and Waste in Medicare Parts A & B
- Management Challenge 6: Preventing Improper Payments and Fraud in Medicare Advantage
- Management Challenge 7: Ensuring Quality of Care in Nursing Facilities and Home- and Community-Based Settings
- Management Challenge 8: Effectively Using Data and Technology to Protect Program Integrity
- Management Challenge 9: Protecting HHS Grants and Contract Funds from Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
- Management Challenge 10: Ensuring the Safety of Food, Drugs, and Medical Devices
Let's start by choosing a topic
Unimplemented OIG recommendations summarized.
FY 2014 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2014.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.