- Because the databases include only the name known to the OIG at the time the individual was excluded, any former names used by the individual (e.g., maiden name, previous married name, etc) should be searched in addition to the individual's current name.
- An individual with a hyphenated name should be checked under each of the last names in the hyphenated name (e.g., Jane Smith-Jones should be checked under Jane Smith and Jane Jones, in addition to Jane Smith-Jones).
- When you check the LEIE, using the Online Searchable Database or the Downloadable Data file, you should maintain documentation of the initial name search performed and any additional searches conducted in order to verify results of potential name matches.
- If you are checking only a few names, choose the Online Searchable Database. You can search up to five names at once.
- If you are checking many names, consider downloading the Downloadable Data File into your computer’s spreadsheet or database program. This will enable you to use that program’s search functions to crosscheck your names against the thousands of names on the LEIE.
- Be sure to double-check that you have the correct spelling of any names before starting your search.
- In order to achieve the most accurate search results, enter only the first few letters of the name.
- Do not forget to take the final step of identity verification using the Social Security Number (SSN) for an individual or Employer Identification Number (EIN) for an entity. It is not sufficient to simply find a matching first and last name on the LEIE.
- If you find a potential match using the Downloadable Data file, you must still verify the results by entering the SSN for an individual or EIN for an entity on the Online Searchable Database. (Note: The Privacy Act prohibits the distribution of SSNs so they cannot be included in the Downloadable Data file).
- If a search result does not contain a DOB, UPIN, NPI, EIN, or SSN, it is not available from the OIG. Contact the Exclusions Staff to determine if there is any other information available.
Let's start by choosing a topic
Priority recommendations summarized.
FY 2014 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2014.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.