In accordance with section 1128(D)(b) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1320a-7d(b)) and 42 CFR part 1008, OIG issues advisory opinions about the application of OIG's fraud and abuse authorities to the requesting party's existing or proposed business arrangement. As required by the statute, these advisory opinions are being made available to the public through this OIG Web site.
One purpose of the advisory opinion process is to provide meaningful advice on the application of the anti-kickback statute and other OIG sanction statutes in specific factual situations. Please note, however, that advisory opinions are binding and may legally be relied upon only by the requestor. Since each opinion will apply legal standards to a set of facts involving certain known persons who provide specific statements about key factual issues, no third parties are bound nor may they legally rely on these advisory opinions.
We have redacted specific information regarding the requestor and certain privileged, confidential, or financial information associated with the individual or entity, unless otherwise specified by the requestor.
Adobe® Acrobat® is required to read PDF files.
- Preliminary Checklist for Advisory Opinion Requests
- Recommended Preliminary Questions and Supplementary Information
- The full and current regulatory text of regulations governing requests for advisory opinions is available on the Code of Federal Regulations Web site. 42 CFR part 1008
- The OIG Final Rule (73 Fed. Reg. 40982) revising the procedural aspects for submitting payments for advisory opinion costs.
- The OIG Interim Final Rule (73 Fed. Reg. 15937) revising the procedural aspects for submitting payments for advisory opinion costs.
- The OIG Interim Final Rule (62 Fed. Reg. 7350) and Revised Final Rule (63 Fed. Reg. 38311) addressing the procedural aspects for submitting a request and obtaining a formal advisory opinion from OIG.
- Advisory Opinion 13-01
(concerning the use of a hospital network as part of a Medicare Supplemental Health Insurance policy.)
Let's start by choosing a topic
Unimplemented OIG recommendations summarized.
FY 2013 Work Plan
OIG projects planned for 2013.
Significant OIG activities in 6-month increments.